Saturday, December 03, 2005

Because God is a Penn State Fan


Elmo thinks he’s funny when he asks “why is the sky blue?” But at musingswithababybottle we treat all questions respectfully, so Elmo, you ask and we answer:

When transmitted light such as sunlight enters our atmosphere it collides with the oxygen and nitrogen atoms. The color with the shorter wavelength is scattered more by this collision. Because violet and blue are the shortest wavelengths the sky appears to be violet / blue. But because our eyes are more sensitive to blue light than they are violet light, we perceive the sky as blue.

Our eyes contain thousand of rods and cones, which are the receptors for light. Whenever one of the 3 Stooges pokes you in the eye you see a giant blue spot. This is because the blue receptors have been activated. Blue is one of the primary colors and thus more easily activated and seen by our eyes.

Blue is also how I feel when my baby leaves, when my hound dog dies and when I have to answer silly questions . Also, it is how I feel when the cops pull me over and I see their blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror. Blue is also the color of the K-mart special, so this color isn't all bad.

D

Can I throw a color question back at you and ask "Why are you red, Elmo, when Kermit is green?"

J

No comments: